Monday, January 19, 2009

New Moms...you are not alone!

Greetings and congratulations to all of you brand-new Moms out there! Whether your baby is just a few days old or approaching his or her first birthday, I don't have to tell you what an incredible ride through life your baby is about to take you on...after just giving birth you already know that this little one can be full of surprises!

I am writing to tell you to be encouraged. You have been entrusted with life's greatest job...mothering. And I know that you are up for the challenge. The road will wind up many inspiring mountains and sometimes plummet through some bumpy valleys but I urge you to travel on with your head held high.

I was blessed with the honor and life-changing experience of becoming a mom a little over two years ago. As I look back it is amazing to see how much I have learned and how much I have changed during the journey of birthing, nursing, and nurturing a child.

But just days after giving birth to my little girl Lillian I remember pondering over what was next for me. I felt somewhat equipped to study my daughter's every moment, cry, and stool. I had a game plan about how often to feed her, if she should or should not wear socks to bed, and how best to introduce solids but I had little time to focus on myself.

So hear is my challenge for today. Have a 10-minute conversation with someone and talk to them about YOU. Tell your husband how YOU are feeling today. Confide in your sister about what is on your heart. Meet your Mom for a drink and talk about one of your dreams. Say hi to a neighbor and take the time to have an adult conversation about something in the news. The point of this challenge - you are still you even without wearing the armour of your infant. Let me know how it goes!