Monday, March 19, 2012

At First Light: Day 2 Deciding My Will Over My Feelings

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

I have so much that I want to share but tonight I will be brief! Today has been long and full of joy but I am completely wiped. Other than my time first thing this morning, this is the first moment of quiet I have had all day. All four (yes, I said four, I have my little niece Eliza Jane here tonight!) of the munchkins are tucked in and DJ should be walking in any moment from his Monday basketball league.  I have dishes to do, lunches to pack, a "preschool picture day" outfit to find and laundry to fold. The list is never ending but I am learning when I give that list first to God He helps multiply my time. Today what I was able to accomplish was quite amazing, but I know it is only because God was directing my "to do" list. And that is what is beautiful about starting the day off in conversation with Him. I am learning to ask, "God what is your will for me today?" Instead of saying, "God is here is what I want to get done....now don't get in my way!" 

God is teaching me that the small interruptions throughout the day can be turned into divine appointments with Him. I miss so many opportunities to connect with God through prayer when I plow through my day, unaware of how He is working all around me.

This morning I did not FEEL like getting up early. I slept poorly and felt exhausted when the alarm went off. But I showed up to meet God. I came downstairs right before the sun peaked its head up over our backyard trees and curled up on our chaise, wrapped in a blanket to open up God's word. His lessons for my heart this morning were profound. His unfailing LOVE for me was jumping off the page. And even though my time with Him was interrupted by my early-bird-just-turned-4-year-old, this morning I was reminded of just how much He loves me. And that truth has carried me through the rough patches of the day.

Are you considering joining Brooks and I on our quest to know God better by giving Him the first hour of our day? Take it from a girl who has hestitated to answer God's call for months now,
excuses are abundant but grace is near.

"Now discipline always seems painful rather than pleasant at the time, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight the paths for your feet , so that what is lame may not be put out of joint,
but rather be healed."
Hebrews 12:11&12

No comments: