Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Worship Wednesday

 A few weeks ago, I lingered there in the parking lot.

Sat there in my red and black Tractor Supply hat and my 
"worn-four-pregnancy-in-a-row-now" dirty jeans.
After dropping my two blond daughters off at school, I felt compelled to avoid my morning beeline for Dunkin Donuts and instead go inside of school to check-out the morning routine. I followed the trail of uniformed kids as they filed down the hallway excitedly toward "devos".

My girls start their day with devotions each morning but the day that falls each weekly middle is much different. "Worship Wednesday"; an intentional pause to stop and applaud the Big God that we serve.  An invitation to verbally praise with lifted voices. A gift for a mother to see her children's hands raised in adoration.
As they gathered, the Pastor, young and intentional with each word and every glance, asked the students,
"What day is it today?"

To my embarrassment, our two-year-old was the quickest (and loudest) to respond even though we were sitting in the way, way back.


"Hump Day! Whooo Whooopp!"

Tripp was so proud of his answer. It's hard to hide a big pregnant body under a church chair, but the thought crossed my mind. We don't even have cable TV in our home for crying out loud but it's amazing what kids pick-up during family beach vacations (thanks Uncle Rob! lol)

We got smiles and chuckles all around. The Pastor asked again. This time, a sea of brilliant, soft, child voices cried out, "Worship Wednesday!"

And then he said something so simple, yet so profound that I pulled my hat down lower to hide the liquid gathering in my eyes, showing evidence that my heart had been touched.

"It's so easy to think that worship is about us. We come to Church and sometimes we complain cause we don't like the music, or the drummer or the song. We say that we just don't "feel" like singing. But, what we forget is the point of why we come. We forget WHAT true worship is...It is our heart's response to the majesty and awesomeness of our loving, Creator God. Authentic worship is NOT about us -it is about God." 

And I'm struck to my core because two years ago I would not have understood the way I do today. Birthed out of my deep "valley" of physical struggle and emotional pain has come a spiritual transformation that has changed my heart's response when I am placed in the presence of God.

Isn't this what God has been showing me as I recovered from surgery and DJ and I opened our lives and body up to accepting a new life again?

When you find Christ as THE ONE AND ONLY blessing in the midst of brokenness-the purpose of living changes. The purpose of loving changes. The purpose of worship changes.

Music floods through my kitchen right now as I hustle between the laptop, the crock pot, and the "bed" I made up for Lilli on the couch. This song (below) is my most recent favorite. I have sick kids home from school today and just moments ago, when feeling at my wit's end, I turned this praise song up as loud as it could go and felt God's Spirit revive my tired body.

When I am in the presence of the Lord my circumstances do not change. But my heart's response to them does. And that's what worship does for a needy heart.

My sisters, may you take time out to worship HIM today. To meditate on HIS greatness, HIS holiness, HIS sacrifice. May your homes, vans, bedrooms and messy closets be filled the songs of praise.

HE is deserving of every act of our love....In His Grace, Jodi
 
Psalm 148
1Praise the Lord.a
Praise the Lord from the heavens;
praise him in the heights above.
2Praise him, all his angels;
praise him, all his heavenly hosts.
3Praise him, sun and moon;
praise him, all you shining stars.
4Praise him, you highest heavens
and you waters above the skies.
5Let them praise the name of the Lord,
for at his command they were created,
6and he established them for ever and ever—
he issued a decree that will never pass away.
7Praise the Lord from the earth,
you great sea creatures and all ocean depths,
8lightning and hail, snow and clouds,
stormy winds that do his bidding,
9you mountains and all hills,
fruit trees and all cedars,
10wild animals and all cattle,
small creatures and flying birds,
11kings of the earth and all nations,
you princes and all rulers on earth,
12young men and women,
old men and children.
13Let them praise the name of the Lord,
for his name alone is exalted;
his splendor is above the earth and the heavens.
14And he has raised up for his people a horn,b
the praise of all his faithful servants,
of Israel, the people close to his heart.
Praise the Lord.
 

WORSHIP (vb, noun): to show profound religious adoration, veneration, respect; the formal expression of intense admiration; to show love (dictionary.com)